9/04/18
I drove past this between Salida and Cotopaxi on State Highway 50 in Colorado. I had to turn around and tell whoever that I stood with them totally assuming I was correct. I was and got the biggest hug of appreciation for doing so.

From my understanding, there are close to 3000 children being held around this country after being seized from their parents at the border.

Many will never see their Mom and Dad again because Republicans are totally evil.

You bastards!

10/9/11

The Wild Horse Dilemma

Almost three years ago Madeleine Pickens  wife of billionaire T. Boone Pickens said she was going to rescue/adopt 2000 wild horses the BLM were going to be put down because the numbers were too high. I assume she did so. Now the same problem is back.

Federal land managers have announced plans to remove nearly 6,000 more wild horses from the range across the West in the next few months, including some 3,500 mustangs in Nevada.

I like this and it's been brought up in the past.
At the same time, officials announced they would apply a fertility-control vaccine to hundreds of mares and adjust sex ratios in some herds to favor males in an effort to reduce the number of on-the-range pregnancies.

You see these animals around and that's  kinda cool. The total number is around 40,000 in several western states. The feds say too many and the other side says all is just fine and the guvmint is doing this to appease the cattlemen.

I'm split on this. In some areas cows can raise hell in washes and areas where there is a bit of water. I have not seen horses do the same but they must. Would rather see horses than cows but I tend to agree with the BLM on the numbers. 33,000 on the range total and 40,000 being held. The number total they want is 27,000.

Bottom line it seems there are too damn many wild horses and it costs plenty to feed and care for them. They need to go somewhere and Europe is probably part of the answer as harsh as that may seem to many.

We have two horses here. They are not ours and are allowed the run of the place.Rich people have horses. We are not rich nor is the fellow who owns these but for the most part the people I see who have these animals are very well to do.

This country is no longer rich.

1 comment:

  1. The problem is, "empty" land really isn't empty, and horses and cows supplant the native wildlife. My dad had cows that he ran on government land in the summer. It was very well managed (some might say overmanaged) and worked for all involved. But wild horses and cows would not have run much in the mountains, they would have been on grasslands like here in California's central valley, that are now covered with farms and houses. I'm a horse owner and lover, but I agree that pretty severe culling of wild horses is probably necessary, and follow that up with birth control. Domestic horse owners need to be more responsible, too. I only raised one foal every 20 years, so I always had a riding horse, and kept them from birth to death, like you would a pet.

    ReplyDelete